Applications for the 2019 PTRA Summer Leadership Institute are currently closed. If interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be placed on the waiting list.
The 2019 PTRA Summer Leadership Institute will be July 24-28, 2019 at Capitol Reef National Park, Utah (https://www.nps.gov/care/index.htm). Transportation to Capitol Reef will be from Provo on Wednesday, July 24th (after the AAPT meeting). We will return on to Salt Lake City on Sunday July 28th by noon. It is about a 4 hr drive to get to Capitol Reef. A draft agenda can be downloaded here PTRA 2019 Draft Agenda
- development of PD materials and resources for K-12 teachers and students
- further development of a strategic plan
- refinement of modules for quantum
The cost of attending the institute will vary according to prior level of involvement and PTRA support.:
- All PTRA participants who commit to provide PD in exchange for attendance will pay a registration fee of $200. This fee will be assessed once the final list of participants is determined.
- All participants will be responsible for their travel and housing accommodations.
- All participants must be current members of AAPT.
- Participants who are considered to be PTRA Specialists (see PTRA Designations) and have contributed at least $250 to the continuation fund in the last year AND provided a minimum of 3 hours of workshops or professional development per year for the last 2 years, will receive a travel stipend in the amount of $500 (distributed after the institute). All participants/PTRAs are expected to provide Professional Development to their peers based on best practices and content developed at the leadership institute. As per the adopted guidelines, active PTRAs (i.e. Specialists) must provide a minimum of 3 hours of workshops per year. Documentation of workshops is based on workshop listings and participants from the required online surveys.
- If participants are not PTRAs and do not want to provide PD in return for their attendance, the registration fee is $500.
- If an attending participant accepts the contract to be a PTRA and only pays the $200 fee, but does not fulfill the PD obligations within the 2019-2020 year, the $300 difference will be assessed and/or be applied to the next institute.
- New PTRA applicants are eligible to apply for one of the limited scholarships from AAPT to help offset institute expenses. The expectation for those receiving scholarship funds is that they contribute to the physics community by providing PD for their peers in the coming year. For more information on the scholarship, contact Dr. Matsler (email@example.com)
- Miscellaneous: Attire is casual. Since the focus of the institute is astronomy, there will be nightly sessions. The PTRA institute is typically a 12-14 hour work day with breaks for meals. This institute will be at least the same number of hours, but a shift to include night time viewing. Graduate credit will be available at an extra cost
Suggestions for items to pack for Capitol Reef: PTRA Summer Leadership Institute Instructions